EDC, please.

Yes, the wonderful "Everyday Carry", or as I prefer to call it, the EDC; n. Meaning the items, often those which are used everyday, in conjunction with certain commonly-needed tools, which are carried on the body of person. I finally have my set in near completion. It is currently missing a tritium glow marker (look it up - they are really neat, and only *slightly* radioactive), a knife, and a quick-release A&P Aircraft Mechanic's key ring. I've already a knife to go on there, but, because I bring it to school, I don't usually attach it. The admin/staff "frown" upon such things, and as such I would rather not risk it.

What I have on it currently:
-House Keys
-Bike lock key
-Ultrafire MCU-C7 flashlight
-And one capsule lighter
-Knife (occasionally - not shown)

The flashlight is real bright - 200 lumens on max. For comparison, the average incand. flashlight is ~25 lumens. The machining ain't great, but for $12 CAD, it isn't too crappy. I, for a period of time, had it modded with a 2mm led in the tailcap to glow at all times - using a 6000 ohm resistor(if I remember correctly), it drew .2 miliamps. No mistake, it was .2, and still very visible. This made for a runtime of  >6 mos. on one battery. This, along with my capsule lighter, was bought from Deal Extreme. Be prepared to wait for 2-month shipping.

In the sink: Beamshot under water. Everything is 100% waterproof
The capsule lighter is pretty nifty. It's waterproof, and darned near bullet-proof with its metal container. Runs on the standard liquid fuel, but here's where it shines - the fact that it screws shut prevents it from drying out! I can't tell you how annoyed I've been when I've picked up my zippo after a month of it sitting idle, only to find it in need of a refill.

Oh, and it is much smaller than a zippo:
It may be smaller, but its got a lotta heart...

For knives, I have a choice between my classic Victorinox "Camper" multi-knife, or my new favorite, the cheapo mini Maxam lockblade.
Swiss Army knife vs. Maxam knife

Now, if  TEOTWAWKI were to occur while I'm out 'sploring, I'll be at least a little more prepared.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gear Review: Butane Canister Refill Tool

Arrival in Italy: Days 1-3 in Florence

All-rounder Update: 200km Mark